Pages

Total Pageviews

Sunday, March 18, 2012

FEELIN' BLUE

My inlaws gave me some free furniture about 8 years ago. The buffet was solidly built and I ended up painting it a glossy black colour


I have had it black for about 2 years and didn't want black in the living room, where I am desperately trying to add colour. I bought some orange/red paint to do paint the stand



How ugly is that? It was not even close to what I wanted. Sigh. What to do, what to do. While rummaging through my paint closet, I saw that I had lots and lots of, that's right, turquoisey blue paint left!!! Yeah.

First, though, I had to take the top drawer out of the cabinet and buy a piece of plywood to put in that space. Then I covered the wood with some leftover Elvis material. Looking good so far. Here it is with the first coat of paint


Then, I got my trusty walnut stain out and painted and wiped the whole thing. I wasn't sure what knobs to use, so I just put the old ones back on.



I also painted a few of the picture frames surrounding the tv, to get rid of the black on the walls



I love the pop of colour on the wall



Now I am just debating whether to do the other set of frames red. What do you think?

So, now I am feelin' blue about my tv stand - but in a good way!!!

I am a party animal

Mod Vintage Life; A Little Knick Knack; Chic on a Shoestring Decorating
; Days of Chalk and Chocolate; ; ; Lovely Crafty Home; Saved by Suzy; ; The Shabby Nest; HookingupwithHoH; ; Photobucket; shabby creek cottage; Photobucket;Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special Pin It

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I like it because it isn't overpowering. The stain really toned it down.

      Delete
  2. The color is fantastic! I really love the pop of color on the wall too! Great job Vicky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't think the red is too much? Should I do the other frames too?

      Delete
  3. i LOVE this with the bright turquoise and with one drawer out. i have a piece i'd like to tweak in this way, but i'm too nervous about it. oh well, one day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't nervous at all. It was so easy to do. I think you should go for it!!!

      Delete
  4. Love this! Isn't it so satisfying to paint things when they turn out the way you want! Good job not getting too frustrated when the first color didn't work out ;)

    Your thumbnail caught my eye because I also painted a piece of furniture blue last week -- come check it out! I'd love to know what you think:

    http://homesweetsnl.blogspot.com/2012/03/sunroom-redo-part-2-painting-laminate.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank goodness I don't get too upset - you can always change paint. kind of like hair colour!!! thanks for visiting. I have already popped over and oogled your blue cabinet. Gorgeous!

      Delete
  5. I love this! Love the lines on the bottom of the cabinet! I say go for it, paint the other frames red too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I liked it before the stain, but I loved it after!
    What a big and awesome difference it made!
    Thanks for linking up to my Creative Inspirations party!
    Please come back Thursday to link up again!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for having the party, Stacey. I love the effect of the stain - retains the colour, but tones it down a little. It is my new favorite thing to do.

      Delete