Pages

Total Pageviews

Sunday, April 13, 2014

TIME AND TIME AGAIN

There are times when I go to goodwill and I get tremendous deals.  It usually happens when I am not looking for anything in particular.  I found a beautiful waterfall vanity for $40 about a month ago.  I am way too cheap to spend that amount, so I crossed my fingers and hoped it would be there on 1/2 price Saturday.  I know that people in my town are pretty cheap too, so I had high expectations that it would be waiting for me.

Yup, there is was - in all it's mac tac glory!


I always look at things like this and wonder why the heck people choose to ruin things with mac tac.

Then I realized why.  Underneath the sticky stuff, the wood was rain damaged.  The centre part was broken in the middle and the previous owner tried to keep it from falling apart by covering it with the hideous, marble looking paper.  Makes me shiver just thinking about it.

I had seen some fabulous restorations on Pinterest, like this


 or this



or my favorite


I had some of the antique linen paint left over from my cabinet project, so I started painting the edges, just like the beautiful pink one above.


However, once I saw what was under the mac tac, I realized that a smooth paint wasn't going to fix any of the problems.  So I got out my black paint and just started painting until the brush was empty.


I wanted to paint the drawers something like this,


but after my epic fail on the cabinet, I decided to go with a safer choice. Yes, you got it, I used the rest of my clock scrapbooking paper.  It is going to go into a totally different room than where the cabinet is, so I am ok with using the theme again.


I wanted to put red knobs on it, just to give it some colour, but I could not for the life of me find anything that I liked.  So, to keep costs down (as we all know how cheap I totally am), I used some of my daughter's acrylic paint and painted the original handles.


I like how antique they look, and they took about 5 minutes to do.


I think I am going to use it for a desk in my upstairs guest room.  Gotta hurry up and sell the desk that I already have, lol, or put it in the playroom.  Either way, I really, really love the end product.  And FYI, the dresser is not lopsided, my picture taking skills kind of suck.

I am not sure what I am going to do with the mirror portion yet.  I might recyle it into a wall mirror.  You just never now!

Up next, some cool pallet ideas.  Woot! Pin It

1 comment:

  1. Let’s start with some fantasy cricket tips and tricks.FANTASY POWER 11 as the India’s most trusted and fascinating portal; where you can play with your favorite squad and Join Fantasy Power 11 app and win money or or Paytm cash.fantasy cricket tips

    ReplyDelete